One of the most important Art Nouveau/Jugendstil workshops that grew out of the Vienna Secession was the Wiener Werkstätte, an Austrian design collective established by Josef Hoffmann and Koloman Moser with an aim to market their wares to a broad consumer base through retail outlets.
Hoffman, part architect, part designer, favored squares and circles in minimalist black and white designs most notably the “Series B” collection sold through the Wiener Werkstätte shops and still popular today.
This design collective was first established in 1903 and was comprised of a production community of visual artists in Vienna, Austria, bringing together architects, artists, and designers. Through this community of shared talent, many unforgettable objects were created ranging from ceramics, postcards, jewelry, textiles, leather goods, enamel, furniture, fashion, metal and wood works and the like.
“Good design is making something intelligible and memorable. Great design is making something memorable and meaningful.”